This recipe is paleo compatible and a snap to make. It’s loaded with good fats and protein, which makes it perfect for a simple post-workout meal. It also happens to be deeply satisfying for breakfast, especially if you enjoyed the previous evening.
- 3 slices Keller Crafted Meats bacon, cross cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 medium cauliflower head, cut into uniform pieces
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Paleo-friendly fish sauce
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it crisps up, about 15 minutes, transfer the crunchy bacon to a paper-towel lined plate with a slotted spoon.
2. While you’re crisping the bacon, toss the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it’s the size of rice grains. Pro tip: don’t overdo it. You don’t want liquid cauliflower.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the eggs into the hot bacon drippings, and fry up a thin egg omelet. Remove the omelet from the pan , slice it into ribbons and set aside.
4. Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat, and add the onions along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Once the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, throw in the sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms are browned, add the grated ginger and stir for 30 seconds to incorporate.
5. Add the cauliflower “rice”, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and mix the ingredients together. Place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat down low, and cook for about 5 minutes with the skillet covered. The “rice” is ready when it’s tender but not mushy.
6. Season with the coconut aminos, coconut vinegar, and fish sauce. Before serving, mix in the scallions, cilantro, omelet slices, and the reserved crispy bacon.